Sunday, March 6, 2011

Turning 30 Never Felt So Good!

Today, I reached a major milestone: 30 pounds lost since the beginning of January!!

I've got a big pile of clothes on the floor of my closet that will soon go away because I've gotten too little for my britches.  Got a whole bunch of clothes dug out from the basement storage that I can wear again for the first time in almost a decade.  In fact, the suit I wore to church this morning had ticket stubs in the jacket pocket that I didn't discover until I took it off.  The stubs were for a performance of Rogers' & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" at the Music Hall at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas - Wednesday, July 18, 2001.  That was probably the last time I wore that particular suit before getting too big to fit in those britches.

To be able to fit in these clothes again is a minor miracle that I can only credit to God.  I believe that my changed eating habits, enjoyment of exercise, and strength of will to keep on keeping on are due to grace.  I don't deserve it, and I haven't earned it.  But I have worked hard to be blessed by it.  And that's the secret of my success: putting my efforts into sync with God's activity within me.

I'm only 6 pounds away from my initial goal weight of 220 pounds.  At my current pace, I can reach that goal in less than 3 weeks - and my daughter's wedding is still 13 weeks away.  That means that it's possible for me to reach my year-end weight goal by her wedding date if God and I keep this rate of change going.  If that happens, I will declare it to be a major miracle!!

In just 10 pounds, I will surpass my lowest post-collegiate weight.  I made it to 217 a decade ago, but almost immediately started gaining it back.   This time will be different.  Not because I'm different, or because I'm doing this differently (although both are true), but rather because last time I was doing it only through my strength rather than relying on the One who strengthens me.  By the grace of God, I will do this and stay at a more healthy weight for the rest of my life!  There's no turning back for me!!

I have several friends that I pray will be encouraged and challenged by what God is doing in me.  Please believe me when I say that if God calls you to lose your weight, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!  Pray about it, and see how God answers you.  The season of Lent begins this Wednesday.  It's a perfect time to give God your next 40 days and discover the new life that God will raise up out of the old one you're now living.

No comments:

Post a Comment