Friday, August 10, 2007

Important vs. Urgent

First published in The Daily Sentinel, Friday, July 27, 2007


There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can make and keep track of lists and those who can’t.

OK, you can probably guess where I fit. I’ve tried to make lists and get myself organized. I’ve had day planners, gone to time management seminars, tried computer calendar and tracking programs – but none of them have truly worked for me.

I really wish I could use a planner better. If I could get the hang of it, I might be better at doing both the urgent stuff and the important stuff. As it is, the urgent tends to crowd out the important.

I look into the kitchen and see a mess of dishes. They’ve got to be cleaned, and it’s my job to clean them. I also need to make some phone calls, make lesson plans for a Bible study, prepare for next Sunday’s worship service, write a couple of thank-you notes, send a get-well-soon card, visit someone at the hospital (in Columbus), etc.

Every single one of those activities is important. But not all of them are urgent. Can you guess which ones are left undone? The thank-you cards, the get-well card — and the dishes. Then my wife comes into my study and asks me when am I going to take care of the kitchen? Oops! Suddenly the dishes become urgent and off I go.

Before I know it, a week’s gone by and I still have important things to do that did not get done. Then I’m hit with a further realization – what about the importance of time with God? My family? Did I let go of God and family to take care of urgent busywork?

Big sigh. Yes. I’m guilty as charged. Being a pastor doesn’t guarantee I’ve got a healthy well-balanced life. But the good news is that God doesn’t expect me – or you – to do it on our own.

Ancient words of wisdom are found in Ecclesiastes chapter 3: “There is a season for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to be silent and a time to speak.”

How well do you use your time? Have you lost track of the important while chasing after the urgent? Have you found the time for everything? God gives us all the time we need, but it must be managed in God’s way.

Jesus explains how to set our time priorities: “I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? …your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:25, 32-33)

So here is my prayer: “Lord, forgive me for all the times I’m not making your kingdom first in my life. Help me to see the difference between urgent and important, and to better manage the time you have given me today to do both. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.”

Will you pray that prayer today, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment